How Does Protein Help You Lose Weight?
Protein for weight loss is not a new idea. But, there are still many people who hold onto the notion that we should eat mostly carbohydrates because they are often lower in calories.
However, protein is not only essential to your health, but also a great way to help lose weight in a healthy manner.
2 Reasons Why Protein Helps with Weight Loss
Protein helps with weight loss for two primary reasons.
1) Protein Does Not Spike Insulin Levels
The first is that protein does not cause blood sugar levels to spike. Spiking blood sugar signals to our bodies to hold onto fat. Protein helps keep our blood sugar stable, which makes it easier for our bodies to release fat.
2) Protein Helps You Feel Fuller For Longer Than carbohydrates
Secondly, protein helps us feel satisfied. When eating a lot of carbohydrates, we often feel hungry again really quickly. But, when we eat a lot of protein, we feel full, so we tend to eat fewer calories in a day.
3 Popular High Protein Diets
The Atkins Diet
The Atkins Diet is a popular low carbohydrate diet. It uses protein for weight loss by emphasizing it far above carbohydrates. Basically, on Atkins, you can eat all the protein you desire, but must strictly limit the carbs. People often lose ten pounds in the first two weeks of this diet.
South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet is similar to Atkins. It uses protein for weight loss, too, but allows more carbs than the Atkins Diet after the first week. It focuses on eating protein for weight loss along with good carbohydrates.
The Zone Diet
The Zone diet is all about getting the perfect ratio of carbohydrates to proteins in your diet. It is, therefore, a higher protein diet than many others.
High Protein Foods List
If you’re looking to up your protein for weight loss, here are the foods you should be eating.
- Meats – All meats are high in protein. Choose from pork, chicken, turkey and beef. Avoid fatty cuts of meat, however. Lean protein for weight loss will also help you keep your heart healthy.
- Eggs – Eggs are a great source of protein, and they make a perfect breakfast for anyone who wants to use protein for weight loss.
- Cheese – Cheese is also a great protein source, but stick with low fat varieties.
- Beans – Beans offer protein as well as complex carbohydrates. They are the perfect choice for vegetarians who want to up their protein for weight loss, or any other reason.
For many people, increasing your protein for weight loss is a good idea. You’ll likely feel better while dieting, have less hunger and lose weight more quickly. Of course, as with any diet, consult your physician before you increase your protein intake dramatically.